- Required: Yes
- Fee: $330
- Expiration:April 30th of each year
- Tax on Shipping:Yes
- Required: Yes
- Wine: $.55/gal
Limits per Winery
- Calendar Year: 12 cases per person
- Sales Tax:Department determines filing frequency for each taxpayer
- Excise Tax: Monthly or Quarterly by the 25th
- Direct Shipment:Semi-Annually by the 15th
- Record Retention:At least 5 years
- ONLY vinous beverages produced by the licensee may be sold and shipped to consumers
- Direct shipment of wine over 16% prohibited
Wineries with approved direct-to-consumer permits are allowed to ship up to 12 9-liter cases of wine to each consumer in Vermont during 1 year.
- FedEx approved VT for direct shipping in 2006 and UPS began accepting shipments destined for Vermont from approved wine shippers on April 2, 2018.
- Wine may not be shipped into municipalities voted as dry- Athens and Baltimore are the only dry towns and share zip code 05143.
- Beginning July 1, 2016, the tax is paid monthly or quarterly, depending on the amount of tax due. If less than $2,000. was remitted for the previous year, you may file on a quarterly basis. Otherwise, returns must be filed monthly.
- A holder of any shipping license granted pursuant to this section shall: ensure that all containers of alcoholic beverages shipped under this section are clearly labeled: “contains alcohol; signature of individual age 21 or older required for delivery.”
FedEx Expands Direct Shipping in Vermont and Sitka, AlaskaNovember 1, 2006
Effective November 1, 2006, Vermont will allow for “Direct or Permit” shipping into, out of, or within the state. FedEx Express and FedEx Ground will accept wine shipments from Approved Wine Shippers as of this date. Also, FedEx Express service is now available to Sitka, Alaska (zip code 99835). If you have any questions please … Read More ⟶
Division of Liquor Control
13 Green Mountain Drive
Montpelier, VT 05602
Phone: (802) 828-2339
Fax: (802) 828-1031
Vermont Department of Taxes
133 State Street
Montpelier, VT 05633
Phone: (802) 828-2551