- Required: Yes
- Fee: $200
- Expiration:2 yrs from issue date
- Tax on Shipping:Yes
- Required: Yes
- Wine ≤ 14%: $.06605/liters
- Wine >14% – 21%: $.1189/liters
Limits per Winery
- 12 cases per person per year
- Sales Tax: Annually by Jan 31st
- Excise Tax: Quarterly by the 15th
- Direct Shipment: Quarterly by the 15th
- Record Retention: At least 4 years
Beginning October 1, 2008, wineries are required to have a valid Wine Direct Shipper permit in order to ship to consumers in Wisconsin. Permit holders may ship up to 12 cases to a WI consumer annually. The permit fee is $100 each year and follows a two year renewal schedule. Additionally, there is a $20 Business Tax Registration (BTR) fee and a minimum bond of $1000 is required. Direct Shippers must register to pay sales and excise taxes.
- Direct Shipment Reports must include the birthdate of the purchaser and the person receiving the wine.
- Containers of wine shipped to an individual in this state shall be clearly labeled to indicate that the package may not be delivered to an underage person or to an intoxicated person.
Wisconsin Direct Wine Shipper Applications AvailableSeptember 16, 2008
On October 1, 2008 the legislation replacing Wisconsin’s reciprocity law with a permit system for the sale and shipment of wine directly from wineries will become effective. Under the new law, the volume limit will increase from three cases per person per year to 12 cases per person per year. A Wisconsin consumer may receive … Read More ⟶
Mail Stop 6-107
PO Box 8900
Madison, WI 53708
Phone: (608) 266-6701