- Required: Yes
- Fee: $150 – $250
- Expiration:June 30th of each year
- Wine Liquor Distribution Tax:5%
- Local Sales Tax:Yes
- Tax on Shipping:Yes
- Required: Yes
- Wine: $1.00/gal
Limits per Winery
- 2 cases per person per month
- Sales Tax: Monthly by the 20th
- Excise Tax: Monthly by the 15th
- Direct Shipment: Monthly by the 15th
- Record Retention: At least 3 years
Label Registration Required
- Labels approved for wholesale distribution are also approved for direct-to-consumer
- In addition, submit to the Commissioner a list of all brands of wine to be shipped to WV residents
- $100 per brand for a 3-year period
- Direct shipment of wine over 16% prohibited
A Direct Wine Shipper License is required for on-site and off-site sales. The license fee to sell and ship only wines up to 14% is $150; the fee to sell and ship wines under and over 14% (wine, nonfortified dessert wine, port, sherry, Madeira wines) is $250. The Direct Shipper’s Application requires applicants to request a Letter of Good Standing from the State of California (or state of domicile). LLCs and corporations must obtain a Certificate of Authority or an Exemption from Certificate of Authority from the WV Secretary of State.
- Shipments to dry areas are prohibited.
- Direct Shipper’s must file an original Report of Wine Shipped to WV Consumers with the Department of Tax and Revenue and a duplicate copy of the report with the Alcohol Beverage Control Administration by the 15th day of each month.
- Wineries must include a copy of the Blood Alcohol and Fetal Alcohol Syndrome Charts in each shipment of wine to a West Virginia consumer. Or, send an electronic communication to its consumers after a sales transaction directing them to the WVABCA website containing the Blood Alcohol Chart and Fetal Alcohol Chart.
- All containers of wine must be clearly and conspicuously labeled with the words “CONTAINS ALCOHOL: SIGNATURE OF PERSON 21 OR OLDER REQUIRED FOR DELIVERY.”
State-by-State COVID-19 Guidance for ABC LicenseesApril 15, 2020
To assist with winery sales and business operations, Wine Institute’s State Relations Team has compiled a listing of guidance for State ABC licensees in response to the COVID-19 outbreak. The new resource page is updated continuously as new information is released and changes impacting the sale and regulation of wine are implemented. Many of the … Read More ⟶
900 Pennsylvania Avenue, 4th Floor
Charleston, WV 25302
Phone: (304) 356-5500
Fax: (304) 558-0081
PO Box 3784
Charleston, WV 25330-2991
Phone: (800) 982-8297
Bldg. 1, Suite 157-K
1900 Kanawha Blvd. E.
Charleston, WV 25305
Phone: (304) 558-8000
Fax: (304) 558-8381