- Required: Yes
- Fee: $230,
plus one-time $195 fee
- Expiration:1 yr from issue date
- Tax on Shipping:No
- Required: Yes
- Wine: $1.51/gal
Limits per Winery
- Month:2 cases per person
- Sales Tax: Monthly by the 20th
- Excise Tax: Monthly by the 15th
- Direct Shipment: Monthly by the 15th
- Record Retention: At least 2 years
Identify Labels for Direct Shipment
- Submit a list identifying all wine products that will be sold DTC
- Submit copies of federal label approvals for any products not approved for wholesale distribution
As of July 1, 2003, holders of wine shipper’s licenses issued pursuant to this section may sell and ship not more than two cases of wine per month to any person in Virginia to whom alcoholic beverages may be lawfully sold. A non-refundable one-time application fee of $195.00 and license fee of $230.00 is required to be submitted with the application for a license. All shipments shall be made only by common carriers approved by the Virginia Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control.
Effective July 1, 2004, criminal background checks are no longer required for a Virginia Shipper’s permit.
- Wine Shipper Licensees are prohibited from accepting orders from VA consumers made through an online marketing portal that is not an agricultural cooperative.
- All licensees shipping wine or beer pursuant to this section shall affix a conspicuous notice in 16-point type or larger to the outside of each package of wine or beer shipped within or into the Commonwealth, in a conspicuous location stating: “CONTAINS ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES; SIGNATURE OF PERSON AGED 21 YEARS OR OLDER REQUIRED FOR DELIVERY.”
Fulfillment Warehouses that receive or ship orders into VA on behalf of direct shipper licensees must secure one-time written approval via letter from the Virginia ABC for each winery they represent. In order to gain approval fulfillment warehouses must: submit a copy of their home state public warehouse license and a copy of an agreement between the Fulfillment Warehouse and the licensed Direct Shipper, listing all shipping locations and indicating the Fulfillment Warehouse is the agent of the Direct Shipper for purposes of complying with Virginia law.
Wineries Encouraged to Ensure Use of Correct Forms and Filing MethodsMay 6, 2022
More and more states are moving to electronic filing of taxes, reports and applications for licenses and license renewals. With the end of the fiscal year looming, now is a good time for wineries to confirm they are using the correct forms and proper filing method in various states. In Virginia, for example, on January 1, … Read More ⟶