- Required: Yes
- Fee: $50
- Expiration:Sept. 30th of each year
- Required: No
- Required: Yes
- Wine: $.27/liter
Limits per Winery
- 18 cases per person per year
- Excise Tax: Monthly by the 15th if > 1,000 liters shipped; Annually by Oct. 15th if < 1,000 liters shipped
- Direct Shipment: Monthly by the 15th if > 1,000 liters shipped; Annually by Oct. 15th if < 1,000 liters shipped
- Record Retention: At least 3 years
Label Registration Required
- Submit copies of federal label approvals for any brands not currently distributed by a MT wholesaler that will be sold and shipped to consumers in MT
- Direct shipment of wine over 16% prohibited
Effective October 1, 2013, wineries holding a Direct Shipment Endorsement can ship up to 18 nine-liter cases of “table wine” to a Montana consumer during the license year (Oct. 1 – Sept. 30). “Table wine” means wine that contains not more than 16% of alcohol by volume. Direct shippers must submit copies of federal label approvals for any brands that will be shipped into Montana and pay excise tax. Montana does not have a sales tax.
- In order to hold a Direct Shipment Endorsement, an out-of-state winery must be registered as a foreign winery.
- Wineries not currently registered should complete the Montana Foreign Winery and Importer Registration form which now includes a section to request a Direct Shipment Endorsement.
- A shipment of table wine must be conspicuously labeled with the words “Contains Alcohol: Signature of Person Age 21 or Older Required for Delivery.”
If a winery with a direct shipment endorsement uses a bonded wine warehouse to fill table wine orders shipped to an individual in Montana, the winery shall provide written notice to the Department of the name and address of the bonded wine warehouse. The winery is responsible for compliance with this requirement.
Applications for Authorization to Ship to MT Consumers AvailableSeptember 27, 2013
The applications for authorization for a winery to ship “table wine” directly to consumers in Montana are now available on the Montana Department of Revenue and Wine Institute websites. Effective, October 1, 2013 wineries holding a Direct Shipment Endorsement can ship up to 18 nine-liter cases of “table wine” to a Montana consumer during the … Read More ⟶
Liquor Control Division
125 North Roberts
Helena, MT 59620
Phone: 406 444 6900
Fax: 406 444 0722