- Required: Yes
- Fee: $50
- Expiration:Sept. 30th of each year
- Required: No
- Required: Yes
- Wine: $.27/liter
Limits per Winery
- 18 cases per person per year
- Excise Tax: Monthly by the 15th
- Direct Shipment: Monthly by the 15th
- Record Retention: At least 3 years
Label Registration Required
- Submit copies of federal label approvals for any brands not currently distributed by a MT wholesaler that will be sold and shipped to consumers in MT
- Direct shipment of wine over 16% prohibited
Effective October 1, 2013, wineries holding a Direct Shipment Endorsement can ship up to 18 nine-liter cases of “table wine” to a Montana consumer during the license year (Oct. 1 – Sept. 30). “Table wine” means wine that contains not more than 16% of alcohol by volume. Direct shippers must submit copies of federal label approvals for any brands that will be shipped into Montana and pay excise tax. Montana does not have a sales tax.
- In order to hold a Direct Shipment Endorsement, an out-of-state winery must be registered as a foreign winery.
- Wineries not currently registered should complete the Montana Foreign Winery and Importer Registration form which now includes a section to request a Direct Shipment Endorsement.
- A shipment of table wine under [sections 1 through 3] must be conspicuously labeled with the words “Contains Alcohol: Signature of Person Age 21 or Older Required for Delivery.”
If a winery with a direct shipment endorsement uses a bonded wine warehouse to fill table wine orders shipped to an individual in Montana, the winery shall provide written notice to the Department of the name and address of the bonded wine warehouse. The winery is responsible for compliance with this requirement.
States Enforce DTC RulesFebruary 6, 2020
The continued growth of the direct-to-consumer (DTC) sales channel means that states will continue to make DTC shipping laws a priority for enforcement in 2020. An increasing number of states are investigating DTC shipments and conducting compliance checks on direct shipper permit holders and common carriers. Wineries that ship directly to consumers outside of California … Read More ⟶
Liquor Control Division
125 North Roberts
Helena, MT 59620
Phone: 406 444 6900
Fax: 406 444 0722