- Expiration:1 yr from issue date
- Wine: $.0733/liter
- Wine Development Fee: $.01/liter
Limits per Winery
- Excise Tax: Monthly by the 20th
- Record Retention: At least 3 years
- ONLY wines produced or bottled by the permittee may be sold and shipped to consumers
A winery must obtain a direct shipping permit prior to shipping on-site and off-site sales to Colorado consumers. As of July 1, 2017, the permit fee is $100 per year.
- Effective July 1, 2017 remote retailers that do not collect sales tax and have $100,000 or more in gross sales in Colorado per year, including wineries that ship wine directly to consumers in CO, must comply with use tax notice and reporting requirements. Or, voluntarily collect CO sales and use tax to avoid the need to comply with the notice and reporting requirements. See the tax update under Statutes & Advisories for more information.
- The DOR is extending a grace period through May 31, 2019 to out-of-state retailers to comply with new sales tax collections rules. These new rules would have required wineries with “substantial nexus” to begin collecting Colorado state, local and special district sales taxes on sales shipped to consumers in Colorado beginning Dec. 1, 2018. For more details see the recent compliance alerts for Colorado.
- All packages delivered to Colorado residents must be clearly and conspicuously labeled: that the contents are wine products and that the package may only be delivered to persons who are 21 years of age or older.
Colorado Sales Tax Changes for DTC DelayedDecember 12, 2018
The Colorado Department of Revenue (DOR) announced that it is extending the grace period through May 31, 2019, to in-state AND out-of-state retailers to comply with new sales tax collections rules. These new rules would have required wineries with “substantial nexus” to begin collecting Colorado state, local and special district sales taxes on sales shipped to … Read More ⟶
Liquor & Tobacco Enforcement Division
1697 Cole Boulevard, Suite 200
Lakewood, CO 80401
Phone: (303) 205-2300
Fax: (303) 866-2428
PO Box 17087
Denver, CO 80217
Phone: (303) 238-7378